Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sergeant Abel Navarro

I love my job. Sometimes my wife, Maria, thinks I love it far too much.

Maria is a nurse. She works in the daytime at our local hospital and I work nights so we don't need a babysitter for our little girl, Lupita. My mom would love to take care of Lupita for us, but she and Maria don't get along. You see my mother is old-fashioned and doesn't really believe wives should work. Maria insists my mother doesn't like her, and maybe that's true, but the real problem is mom doesn't think any woman is good enough for her boys. I have to admit mom can be mean by saying just the wrong thing in a way that no one can really fault her.

Back to the job. When something is going on, I want to be in on it. I always wanted to be a police officer. For awhile I was afraid I was too short, but fortunately they relaxed the height rules.

Things are usually pretty quiet in Rocky Bluff, but once in a while everything goes crazy. Hate to admit, but that's when I'm happiest.

Abel

2 comments:

  1. I can't say the same. I wish I could quit my day job, but can't afford it!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, you're responding to a fictional character! Good for you!

    Marilyn, the author of No Sanctuary

    ReplyDelete