Friday, January 9, 2009

What Others Have Said About Rocky Bluff P.D.

To make you a bit curious about Rocky Bluff P.D. thought you should read some excerpts from reviews of the last couple of books about us, so here goes:

"I settled in to read Smell of Death on a recent Saturday morning, expecting I would have the day to myself. Reading fiction is a pleasure I don’t take often enough. Alas, the day did not go as planned and I was only about a third of the way through the book when something came up and I had to put it down.

"Going about my business I continued to think about the characters introduced... series, these were new to me. Police Officer Stacey Wilbur—a single mother. Detective Doug Milligan (did I sense a love interest developing between him and Wilbur?). Officer Felix Zachary and his wife, Wendy; Officer Abel Navarro and his wife, Maria; and Officer Gordon Butler (uh-oh, he has a crush on Stacey Wilbur, too).
By the time my reading was disturbed, the beach-front community had two murders and a missing child—and the busy PD was handling a number of other cases, too. I had to wonder what more could happen.

"I wanted to know 'who done it' and I wanted to see if the various characters would resolve their problems and issues as the story unfolded.I was satisfied on both counts. With the understanding of both the job side and the human side of law enforcement personnel, Meredith’s characters are believable and the storyline demonstrates the kinds of issues they face.

"The nuts and bolts of a police procedural are woven seamlessly with the involvement of the major characters in a number of sub-plots playing out over what amounts to about two weeks in Rocky Bluff. It makes for what is simply a great read—with enough twists and turns to avoid being predictable, and with characters you will continue to think about after the mysteries are solved.

"Leaving hope, of course, that another Rocky Bluff PD story will find its way out of Marilyn’s active imagination very soon!" --Claudia Elliott, Editor, Southern Sierra Messenger

"...In the style of the best of Wambaugh, albeit with a gentler hand and less rugged language, F. M. Meredith draws characters we want to know better, those with whom we'd like to kick back and share a beer. She lays bare their flaws and weaknesses while showing us that these brave men and women, who risk their lives to protect us on a daily basis, are really no different than we are-decent, caring individuals with the same hardships and triumphs, struggling to do their best as husbands and wives, and moms and dads, while keeping their humanity. The members of the Rocky Bluff P. D. are definitely folks I want to visit again, and look forward to "riding along" as they guarantee the triumph of justice over evil." Miqui Miller

"Rocky Bluff P.D. Series is a cross between Law & Order and As the World Turns. The story centers on the everyday lives of the law enforcement who serve and protect citizens of Rocky Bluff, California, a beach community....By the end of the book, cases will be closed, but the lives of the Rocky Bluff P.D. will keep on. We’ll be able to catch up though in the next series to come."
–J.Kaye Book Blog

“...This book does an excellent job of showing, through well-defined characters, the impact that life on the police force has on its members and their families. The touch of romance between Stacey and Doug is just the right thing to lighten up some of the heavy stuff going on in this book.

"Smell of Death by F.M. Meredith is an engaging, well-written, and gripping page turner, that will leave you hungry for the next book in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series." --The Book Connection

“...Author F. M. Meredith has been compared to Joseph Wambaugh, and I can definitely see the connection. The cops of her fictional Rocky Bluff PD have lives that extend beyond the chase and the crime scene. They struggle to raise their children, deal with leaky faucets, and pay their mortgages. They have hopes, loves, fears, and nightmares. They come across like real people, with real lives. The police work in Smell of Death is not fancy, or even particularly high-tech.There’s no CSI magic to be found here. There are no courtroom theatrics, and nohyper-intuitive detectives. Just hard working cops doing the sort of methodical spadework that probably solves most real life crimes.”...Jeff Edwards, AAA

These reviews have certainly recognized the essence of the Rocky Bluff P.D.

2 comments:

  1. I hate being interrupted when I'm reading. When I'm in the middle of a good book, I want to keep on until I finish it. Then I wish I could still be reading it. Can't win.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
    http://www.morganmandel.com
    http://twitter.com/morganmandel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Marilyn. Thanks for posting part of my review here. Love the series and can't wait for the next one to come out.

    All my best,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete